A vegan alternative to delicious authentic tacos!
- 700g meat alternative (tofu, seitan & jackfruit work great for this recipe)
- 300ml vegetable broth
- 1 large onion
- 1 large tomato
- 2 guajillo chillies
- 2 ancho chillies
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes / chipotle flakes
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp rubbed oregano
- 3 garlic cloves / 5 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 6 soft tortillas
- Vegan cheese alternative
- Fresh coriander, salsa & guacamole to serve.
- Roughly chop the onion & cook until soft in a large pan, add all of the spices and cook for a further 3 minutes until fragrant, add the vegetable broth, tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes until everything is soft.
- Drain the spices & vegetables and transfer to a blender, blend until soft, you can add more vegetable broth at this stage to thin out the sauce.
- Transfer your main ingredient (meat alternative) to a pan with the sauce and cook accordingly until soft, remove it from the pan, shred it (if you can) and keep on a low heat.
- Dip one side of your tortilla into the consommé (broth) and transfer to a hot pan – wet side down, fry for around 30 seconds before flipping, fill your taco with meat & cheese alternatives before frying for a further minute on each side.
- Swerve with a bowl of consommé to dip and garnish with guac & salsa!