A delicious American style mac & cheese dish.
- 500g macaroni
- 500ml whole milk
- 400ml double cream
- 100g Tongmaster Applewood smoked cheese powder (or mexicana cheese powder)
- 200g grated cheddar
- 50g grated gruyere
- 50g grated parmesan
- 4tbsp butter
- 2tbsp flour
- 4tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1tsp nutmeg powder
- 1tsp mustard powder
- Lightly salt a large pot of water & bring to the boil, cook the macaroni according to packet instructions, preheat oven to 180°C.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add the flour & cheese powder until it forms a paste, add a splash of milk and mix till combined.
- Slowly add the remaining milk a little at a time, mixing continuously.
- Bring the milk to a simmer and slowly add the grated cheese, combining until fully melted, add the cream, add a splash of pasta water if the mixture seems too thick.
- Drain the pasta & add to the cheese mixture, combining fully, add the nutmeg & mustard powder, along with salt and pepper to taste & transfer to an oven dish.
- Sprinkle extra grated cheese on top (optional) before topping with the breadcrumbs, bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.